I know we live in the WONDERFUL state of Alaska, but can I just say it has been COLD, COLD, COLD!! For the last 3 weeks the temperature has been anywhere from highs of -18 degrees to lows of -45 degrees! Weston typically walks to school since we only live 2 blocks away, if that. BUT, I do have a "nice mom rule" where if it is -20 degrees or colder, I'll drive him. Unfortunately there were a couple times that he had to walk. Of coarse I never mentioned to him how cold it really was, not that he fully gets it, I just bundled him up and sent him on his way. I think he enjoys it really. He loves being outside and he likes it cold....so does that excuse my not-so-nice self??
P.S. When it is THIS cold outside, don't try brining a turkey in a 5 gallon bucket! As my dad would say, "It's a Turk-sicle"! For Thanksgiving it was a bit warmer, about 15 below zero I think, and my brining turkey did just fine! In the bucket at the very top was just a bit of frost the first time. This time, 3 weeks later (I wanted more turkey meat and the turkeys were on sale!), I had to pry the bucket open with all my might. And then wait 2 fulls days to let it thaw AGAIN before I could cook it and eat it. It turned out great, although I have to admit I was a little worried.
Remove the neck and the "guts" from the inside of the turkey
Place turkey in deep dish (or 5 gallon bucket)
Cover with water
1 cup kosher salt and brown sugar per gallon
1/4 whole peppercorns
juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange
1/4 cup minced garlic
1/4 cup dried basil leaves
1/4 cup dried rosemary
1/4 cup dried basil leaves
1/4 cup dried rosemary
Add everything to the water and let it soak it a cool (not sub-freezing) place for at least 24 hours.
When ready to cook, remove from the brine and rinse the turkey well. Pat dry and begin your favorite turkey recipe for cooking. Mine is here.

3 comments:
Ahh..it is good for him. Makes him tougher, right?
Ella BEGS me to let her walk to the bus stop my "good" mom in me says not when it's more than 15 below.
I miss Alaska. But not that biting cold. Although he looks pretty cozy underneath all those winter clothes.
Post a Comment