Ok, ok, ok. . . .I have been putting this off for a while, mostly because my camera (or the lack there of). I have needed to post something, tons of things all summer long, but my camera is broken and I love posting with pictures to share too. Today, no pics still, just an update.
Most of you don't know, a few do, that I have started running not too long ago. This is a huge deal for me! I have never been a runner nor ever cared to be. I really thought it was boring and mostly it just made my huge boobs hurt quite a bit. NO FUN.
About 4 months ago I realized I needed a good goal and my "BFF" Melissa totally inspired me to start running. I did this couch to 5k training program in I think 2 months time. Basically it gets you to a point where you can actually run a 5k (3.1 miles!!). That was huge for me and seriously hard at times, but I really liked it and I decided to keep going. Here in AK is the US's 3rd hardest marathon every September called the Equinox. It is a BEAST! Mostly mountains and climbing for 26.2 miles! Who does that? Who wants to do that? Crazy, stupid people! Well, I am training to be one of them. Seriously. In June I ran my first 10k (6.2 miles in 56:09!). I was so excited that I ran the whole way, I wasn't really going for a specific time. But I am stoked that I got in at under an hour! Whoo-Hoo!
Now for my count down. . . . in 10 days, on August 8th, I am going to be running my first HALF MARATHON!!!!! That is 13.1 miles!!! I can not believe it. I am not ready, and actually it makes me nervous and a little sick to think about it, but I am going to do it. The longest run I have ran so far in my training has been just over 8 miles, which is good. . .really good. From blogs and other runners I am learning that I really shoudn't try to run the full exact distance of my run until the day comes, just run a good long amount to get myself prepared. 8 miles is LONG! But I can go more and I know I can. The logic behind it is that if and when I run the full 13 miles it is going to be hard, brutally hard. And since my mind is smart and running is a big mind game, I don't want to head out there on race day to a mind that is saying, "Hey dork! Remember last time you did this? It sucked! What are you doing?!?!?!" So instead, I'll walk away thinking all of that I guess :). Either way, my plan is to get a 10 mile run in either this Saturday or on Monday of next week and call it good with a couple of short 6 and 7 mile runs until the race. (WOW! I just said all of that so casually like 6 or 7 miles is a cake walk! I still am amazed with myself.)
"So, Equinox?" you say, "We'll see." I am going to continue training to get myself closer and ready, but I am making no promises until I run my half first. I have to see how my knee holds up.
There you have it! All of my mornings I am either at spin class or on my treadmill and in the evenings 3 days a week I am running outside with my friend Nora. I am on my way. . . .can you catch me?
6 comments:
WOW!!!! Thats awesome!!!
What an amazing goal! You can do it, I know you can.
YAY!!!!! I am so stinkin' excited for you!!! You will do amazing! Your 10k was awesome and you will love the 13.1! maybe not while you are running but when you finish it will be so awesome! i can't wait to hear all about it! I started my training for my 2nd half and I am so excited! GOOD LUCK!!! Have fun while running and just keep telling yourself... i can do this!
Make sure to get some pictures along your race! have clayton meet you half way or something and then for sure at the end! Love you! You are amazing and I am so glad you have loved it as much as i do! Love ya!
PS... I hope you can make it for the marathon! just keep going and you can do anything your heart desires! I will be cheering you on!
You are crazy!
Yeah, Kari!! I'm so excited for another convert! :) Running has seriously changed my life. I am addicted and think it is the absolute best! I wish I could run one with you and Melissa- maybe someday when we're on the same continent? 6 more weeks until baby is born, then maybe 6 weeks of rest, then I'll be chasing you guys! :) Good luck- you'll do great! Go for the marathon!
You are so Awesome! I finally started running again (after an 8 year hiatus...) but I'm still working towards the 5k! I'm so proud of you! How long do you guys have left in AK? You should come here to Mt. Home next!!!!
Post a Comment